If you've already set up your Oura ring and are updating your Android app to the latest version, check out these release notes.
Congratulations on starting your Oura journey. Here's what you'll need to follow along these instructions:
- Your new Oura ring
- The Oura ring charger and USB cable
- A USB power source (such as laptop)
- An Android device (version 6.0 or higher)
- An Internet connection on your phone
Below is a video overview of setting up your new ring if this is your first Oura ring and you don't have an Oura account. The video shows the iOS app but the instructions are the same. If you have the first Oura ring, check out this article instead.
Step 1: Download the Oura app from the Google Play
Note: The new Oura app is available for Android 6.0 and higher.
Step 2: Connect the USB cable to the Oura charger
Connect the small end (USB-C) of the USB cable to the charger.
Step 3: Connect the USB cable to any USB port
You can power the Oura charger from any USB port. Connect the large end (USB-A) to a USB port on your laptop, a USB dock or your phone's charger, for example.
Step 4: Place the Oura ring into the charger
The sensor bumps inside the ring must be on the side of the USB cable so that the ring falls snugly into place. It doesn't matter which side of the ring is facing up.
Step 5: Check that the light appears on the charger
When the charger is blinking slowly, the ring is charging. If you don't see a light, check that the USB cable is connected and that the ring is snugly in place.
Step 6: Open the Oura app
Follow the instructions in the app:
- Tap Create account
- Choose a working email and a password for your account
- Tap Create account
- Tap Connect to search for your ring. It should be nearby, in the charger. Make sure you have turned your phone's Bluetooth on.
- When you see your ring, tap Connect. Note: connect your ring via the Oura app, not in the phone settings.
- Choose your notification preferences
- Add your personal info. We recommend doing this to get the most accurate feedback from the app. Tap Done.
Step 7: Charge the Oura ring
Leave the ring on the charger until the light stops blinking and glows steadily. This means it's fully charged.
Step 8: Start wearing the Oura ring
During the first weeks of use the Oura ring and the app get to know you. You'll see your nightly metrics in the Oura app after the first night you've slept while wearing the ring.
Tip: If you experience Bluetooth connectivity problems, switching Bluetooth off and on in your phone settings helps. In some rare cases you may need to restart your phone.
Troubleshooting: There have been some reported cases where sleep data hasn't been visible in the app in the morning. We're in the process of fixing this issue, but closing the app and opening it again helps.